Thursday, November 10, 2011

REDISCOVERING SAN ANTONIO

Its thrilling to see the changes that have occurred in San Antonio during my twenty-year absence.


The arts are even more prominent now than before.  They have always been important here, because of the rich Spanish and Mexican heritage, but now the arts seem to be everywhere.  This may be due in part to my increased awareness, but there is no doubt that San Antonio is a mecca for the arts.


Run-down neighborhoods are being revitalized around the arts:


  • SoFlo (South Flores street near downtown) now features loft condos and restored and remodeled houses.
  • The King William Historical District just south of downtown is almost totally restored, and what a jewel it is.
  • The South Side, where I grew up, used to be considered "The Other Side of the Tracks" but is now known as Southtown and is becoming more and more upscale.
  • The Deco District on the West Side features original Art Deco storefronts in its mainstreet section along Fredericksburg Road.


And the traditional tourist attractions have continued to be developed into a unique, pedestrian-friendly destination centered around the famous San Antonio Riverwalk.  The Riverwalk has been expanded to the north and south.  It now connects Downtown with the San Antonio Museum of Art and will go all the way down to the Spanish missions in the near future.


All in all, San Antonio is a unique blend of history, art, great food and wonderful people.  I encourage you to visit San Antonio and see for yourself.


Here is the first image I took in San Antonio after my return.  It is of the Central Library.  It was designed by the renowned Mexican architect Ricardo Legorreta, I've tweaked the image to make it look more "Mexican". It is my gift to the city that I love. I hope that you will discover San Antonio and love it as much as I do.


San Antonio Central Library
-bjd

1 comment:

  1. Update: Mr. Legorreta died a few weeks ago. I had sent this image to his office shortly after taking it. They asked for a high-resolution version. I'd like to think that Sr. Legorreta had a chance to see this interpretation of his work before he died. Also, the library has recently been repainted and now looks almost exactly like this image instead of the faded version of its former glory.

    Thanks, Mr. Legorreta, and thanks to the library for refreshing its image.

    ReplyDelete