Wednesday, September 28, 2011

SOMETHING FROM NOTHING: THE NIGHT ORCHID

This week my gardener cut down most of a lemon tree because it was dead.  He kept the lower part because it was supporting some other plants.


Low and behold, today I noticed this:

A surprise in the garden today


An orchid!  In full bloom!  I have no idea how long it's been blooming.  I knew there were orchids in the tree, but they looked dead.  I'm so glad I didn't throw them away.


And - more excitement - there are others about to bloom.  You can see one of these in the upper right corner of this image.


Here it is at night, where you can see the detail better:


The Night Orchid


How can these plants know seasons, when the days and nights are the same length all year round here, and the temperature is constant as well?  I have noticed bouganvilleas also in full bloom now, when I thought they were triggered by the dry season.


These plants have an intelligence that we will never know.


-bjd

No comments:

Post a Comment