Wednesday, September 28, 2011

AZUERO PENINSULA - WEST

This is the first of two posts about our road trip to the Azuero Peninsula.  This is the part of Panama that sticks out into the Pacific Ocean.  It is known for its beaches and colonial Spanish architecture.  I went with a friend who was looking for a place to live on the beach, while I was looking for the architecture.  These are merely brief, fleeting impressions.  It is difficult to get ideal light for pictures when one is just passing through.  Nevertheless, I hope you enjoy these.

Not sure if the bump to the left is considered part of the Azuero or not, but we didn't go there anyway.


We started out at Atalaya, a lovely little town just south of Santiago known for its  Jesús Nazareno de Atalaya  pilgrimage church.  Some 200,000 people descend on this little town during Lent.  Frankly I liked it better in the old photos, where the trim is a beautiful shade of purple.  Any way you color it, this is one of the loveliest churches in the country.

Eglisia Jesús Nazareno de Atalaya

We ate dinner at a typico (a small restaurant serving typical Panamanian food with limited choices on the menu).  I was impressed with the lengths they had gone to prevent their TV from being stolen and watched:

TV in Atalaya - rather difficult to watch
We stayed in one of the nicest hotels in town, a boutique hotel where nothing worked, including my toilet, the Wi-Fi and the shower.  The shower was so complicated I couldn't figure out how to turn on the water:

The beautiful but too complicated shower.
I was able to get those vents near the floor to work,
but couldn't stoop that low to get thoroughly wet.

I don't know about you, but this shower reminds me of Woody Allen's "Orgasmatron" from his movie Sleeper:

Wood Allen's Version
We did see some lovely sights, however, some of which are shown here:

Caballeros on the Beach

Beach View at Torio

View at the restaurant
where we ate freshly caught fish by the sea

 And my favorite sight of all: giant grasshoppers on the beach.  These whoppers were several inches long:

The feeling of being watched.
Nice view, but I wouldn't want to live here.

By the second night a plumber had come to work on the toilet.  He had lengthened the rod from the handle inside the tank but hadn't attached the rod to the float.  In other words, the toilet still wouldn't work on its own.  But the receptionist did show me how to work the shower.

Then it was time to move on.

-bjd

1 comment:

  1. I love all the pics of your trip, especially the crab trails at the beach. Is it possible for you to send me a copy of it? I might try something in encaustic to depict that scene.

    Robyn Cole

    ReplyDelete