Tuesday, July 26, 2011

THE BLUEBERRY AGENDA

There are very few things I miss about the U.S., but one of them is fresh blueberries.  They are virtually impossible to find in Panamá.  It's just too warm here.  One would think if they grow in Nacogdoches, Texas, they could grow in Panamá.  (Agricultural entrepreneurs take note:  this could be a gold mine. Panamá Blueberry Festival, anyone?)


So it was not without a lot of excitement that I discovered five-pound bags of frozen blueberries at PriceSmart (Costco) recently:

This is not the 5-lb bag, but looks like it.
Every day this week I have been rationing them out, straight from the bag.  Controlled experimentation has proven that the best method for eating them is to take one or a few frozen berries and press them between the tip of the tongue and the back of the teeth to express the rich, flavorful juice a little at a time.


Ahh.


I was going to make a blueberry pie, but there isn't enough left in the bag for that now.


I'll go back to PriceSmart tomorrow, on another mission, and hope to return with another bag of frozen blueberries.  Soon I hope to have something like this from my little bottled-gas stove with no temperature settings on the dial:

piekitchen.com - Not my pie, but hopefully a close facsimile
of the one I'll make later this week.
Wish me luck.


Life is good.


-bjd

1 comment:

  1. Note: I increased the font size at the request of a reader.

    ReplyDelete