Tuesday, June 14, 2011

NEW BIRDS

 Along with new bugs come new birds.  It's been a while since I've sat out back with no other preoccupation than watching the birds.  Now that a new crop of bananas is coming in, there are birds galore.  Some are old friends, some are new.

Here is the elusive Blue-Crowned Motmot.  It was such a thrill to see it for the first time.  Unfortunately the banana leaves were obscuring part of its tail, so I don't know how long it is, or whether or not it has "rackets" formed from preening its tail feathers:
Blue-Crowned Motmot -
a magnificent specimen
This is what it looks like in its entirety:
Source:  Wikipedia

Today also brought another new bird, similar to a blue-gray tanager but with green wings.  It's probably a blue-gray, perhaps a local variant:




This was taken with my 105-mm lens.  I definitely need a bigger one!



Finally, this lovely red-legged honeycreeper made an appearance:


Seconds later he was beseiged by a green masked marauder yet to be identified:


Here's a view of another one of the green birds, who was just a foot or so away on the same bunch of bananas:


There were many other birds here today that did not stay still long enough to be recorded.  But on the whole this was a most satisfying day.  It reminded me how much I've missed seeing my feathered friends during those long rainy days.

And now the darkness is descending, the birds have settled in for the night, and all I hear is the constant drone of crickets interrupted by an occasional distant mooing of a cow and rumble of thunder.

All is peaceful here in the green mountains of Boquete.  I hope it's peaceful where you are too.

-bjd

No comments:

Post a Comment