Wednesday, May 11, 2011

SEÑOR LARA

Shortly after moving to Boquete, I reported that everyone in my neighborhood except Señor Lara waves to me when I pass by.  Now I know why:  Señor Lara is mostly blind.  He hasn't been able to see me - or anyone else.

The other day I saw him standing by the road as he is accustomed to do, and stopped to introduce myself.  He is a charming man, older and with a big white mustache.  He called his grandson, who was still asleep, to come out of the house to translate for us.  His grandson is a certified translator, so I had exceptional service.

I told his grandson to tell Señor Lara how distinguished he looks.  He seemed to be flattered.  Then I promised to make him some cookies, and that made him laugh.  I'd actually been thinking about the cookie thing for a long time.

A few days later he was there again, and I stopped to visit - this time without a translator.  I told him I would use a system so that he would know when I was passing by:  four toots on the horn - SEE - ÑOR -- LA - RA.

This morning I got to use the tooting system.  He waved like crazy and shouted something out to me.  I don't know exactly what he said, but I know it was good.

Now I need to go make those cookies.

-bjd

No comments:

Post a Comment