Friday, May 27, 2011

CORA'S HELICONIAS

Some time ago I told you about my friend Cora Kent's garden.  Now, several months later, the heliconias are in full bloom.  I'd never heard of heliconias before moving to Panama, and now they are my favorite flower.  Actually they are many kinds of flowers, with over 100 species and many more varieties.

Yesterday I visited Carla Black's garden in Volcan, one of the largest heliconia collections in the world.  It will take me a few days to sift through the more than 100 images I took there.  In the meantime, here are some of Cora's heliconias:

H. rostrata -
The bracts can be 2-3 feet long,
the foliage 10-20 feet high.





Here is a different species - not sure of the name - I think the common name is "Parrot Head".  These blooms are much smaller, only a few inches across.  Don't the orange flowers look spectacular against that purple?  Not sure what the purple plant is - will have to find out:




Cora and her husband David have spectacular grounds with their house, including this little Mexican-inspired chapel filled with art:


If you are very lucky, you might visit Boquete at a time when one of their charming casitas is available to rent. Then you can enjoy these fabulous sights for yourself.

-bjd

No comments:

Post a Comment