Saturday, March 12, 2011

COLORS OF THE MORNING

Yesterday morning the sunlight was hitting my table just right. The grain of the wood was glowing in incredible depth, much more than this flat picture could show:

Colors of My Table

I reflected a moment on the irony that this tree had to be killed and cut and made into a table in order for the pattern to be seen. And I was thankful for this tree.

A blue hummingbird hovered just outside the window for some time. It seemed to be saying, "Good morning!" I had to get up and walk over to the window to discourage it from coming inside, but even then it didn't fly away for a while. This was the first time I'd ever made real eye contact with a hummingbird.

Then I walked out back to see where the hummingbird had gone, but it was nowhere to be seen. Instead I saw a large insect hovering just beyond the porch, catching the same angle of the light. It was a type of insect I'd never seen, with a oval, bottle-green iridescent body. I could see the extent of the blurring of its wings. Then, in an instant, it was gone.

And thus began another peaceful morning.  I am so thankful to be here.

-bjd

No comments:

Post a Comment