Saturday, February 5, 2011

FRONT YARD REDUX

The past week has been one glorious sunny day after another. The plants in the garden are changing daily. Some have burst into flower virtually overnight. Trying to capture them in photos is like shooting at a moving target.

Here are two from the front yard that I've been able to identify in the last few days because of their blooms:

Anthurium andraeanum

Shell Ginger

Today I cut my first torch ginger, to replace the one on the breakfast bar that had died. The stalk was amazingly tough. I felt a twinge of sadness in removing it from its habitat, but am glad that I can enjoy it all day and evening when I'm in the house.

By the way, I didn't know many of these plants beforehand. I've been working through several websites with images of tropical plants to find the right ones. It's a laborious but rewarding process.

You'll notice that these flowers may not have the perfection of those raised in greenhouses. They get buffeted about quite a bit in the strong wind here and are often targets of feeding insects.

But they are no less beautiful nonetheless.

-bjd

No comments:

Post a Comment