Wednesday, February 2, 2011

DAY TO DAY

As the U.S. is being hit by yet another blizzard and ice storm, I'm grateful for living in Panama where we have had beautiful sunny days in the 60's and 70's.

Boquete is not your usual American town.  It has a bit of the Wild West, which this Texas girl likes.  Here are a few glimpses of my life here:

View from My Street up the Hill from My House
Volcan Baru, the highest point in Panama

I came home one afternoon to find that a neighbor was cutting the grass next door:

Boquete Lawnmower
Chiriquí Province is a center for horses, 
and there are real cowboys here.

This morning on the way back from town I got caught in the rush hour traffic on my street:

Rush Hour in Jaramillo Abajo
(And yes, there was a cowboy with them.)

This last picture was taken from inside my "new" car, a 2006 Suzuki Jimny which I acquired just yesterday. I used a local agent, an American who does this for the Gringos.  After finding the car on-line, I asked him to check it out.  The car was in Panama City.  He flew there, inspected it, asked many questions of the owners (who spoke only Spanish) and determined that the car would be OK.  He bought it with the money I had wired to him and arranged to transfer the registration and title to my name, which will take several weeks in typical Panamanian fashion.  Then he had it driven to David, the closest city with a Suzuki dealership about half an hour from Boquete, and had their mechanics go over it.

There is no way I could have done this myself.

I got the Jimny after renting one and loving it.  It's the perfect vehicle for negotiating my rocky, unpaved road.  Here it is in my driveway (with the lot where the horse was in the background).  Please try to ignore the bird poop on the side.  I later found out the birds like to perch on the side mirror facing forward - hence the poop.

Suzuki Jimny, My "New" Car - Poor Person's Land Rover

That's all for now - more later.
-bjd

No comments:

Post a Comment