Tuesday, December 7, 2010

MOVING FORWARD AND GOING BACK

Wow, it's been a while since I've posted an entry.  Much has happened since then.

I've decided to retire and move to Panama, as of January 1!  This blog started with a trip to Panama last January, almost a year ago.  Where has this year gone?

So I'll be returning to Boquete with my three dogs.  We are going through all the red tape (and expense) to get them into the country legally.  I have a lovely little house rented month-to-month, fully furnished with utilities for $250 a month.  I have already made quite a few friends in Boquete, and am looking forward to contributing to the community.

I've already been asked to be the acting President of Boquete ArtWorks, a new artists' co-op.  We hope eventually to get studio and gallery space downtown.  My personal vision is to make Boquete a center for the arts, with art as a visible part of everyone's lives there.  This includes public art, an arts festival, and providing art supplies to the schools, and juried art shows.

But first, one step at a time.  There are many things to do between now and December 31, when I fly down.  Not the least of these is going through all my stuff, deciding what to discard and what to keep (very little).  Most things are not worth the expense of shipping there.

A New Year in Boquete!  Right now it's 33 degrees F in Baltimore, with a wind chill of 22.

And in Boquete it's 63.  Perfect turtleneck weather.

I'm looking forward to the twists and turns of life abroad.  And, if for some unforeseen reason it doesn't work out, I can always go somewhere else.

This image is in honor and memory of Elizabeth Edwards, a lady of great courage and inspiration, who lost her battle with cancer today.  To me it signifies paths of light radiating from the depths of despair, and the hope of a bright future.

Bless you, Elizabeth, and bless all those who are fighting their own personal battles, whatever they may be.

Boquete:  Yellow Pansy

-bjd

1 comment: