Sunday, December 26, 2010

MAJOR COMPLICATIONS

Tonight, instead of going through my clothes, I spent the evening trying to figure out how to get my dogs into Panama when the weather forecast for Panama City is 90 degrees F on December 31 and the airlines won't fly animals when the temperature is forecast to be higher than 85.
  1. Called COPA airlines, which has extensive operations in Central and South America, thinking they would deal with the heat:  They don't ship animals at all during December and January.
  2. Have been working on the idea of flying to San Jose, Costa Rica instead of Panama City, and taking the dogs into Panama by car.  San Jose's temperature is forecast to be in the 70's.
  3. Costa Rica has different deadlines for vaccinations than Panama. Rabies must be at least 30 days and no more than 1 year prior, while all the other shots (distemper, leptospirosis, parvovirus, corona virus, etc) need to be within 30 days for Costa Rica.  That means I would need to go to Costa Rica by December 29.
  4. All the Costa Rica government employees, including those who clear animals at the airport, take the week off between Christmas and New Years.  So December 29 won't work.
  5. Finally I found a pet relocation service based in Costa Rica and sent them an e-mail asking if they could get my dogs approved to enter Costa Rica temporarily in transit to Panama, without complying to the letter of Costa Rican requirements so long as the Panama requirements are met.  Also asked them if they could take me and the dogs in their van to David, Panama, where I plan to rent a car until I can buy one.
  6. Having decided that I could make no more progress on a plan tonight, I'm going to bed and will hope for the best - again.  I'll call the pet services tomorrow and see what they have to say.
  7. (Sigh)
Plan B
-bjd

No comments:

Post a Comment