Saturday, July 10, 2010

DREAMS

Some people are driven by their dreams more than others.  I, for one, have always had dreams:
  • Someday I'll be the one to find the cure for cancer.  (Didn't work out.)
  • Someday I'll win the lottery and be financially secure. (Lousy odds.)
  • Someday I'll write the Great American Novel. (Not at this rate.)
  • Someday I'll be rich and famous and have homes in Aix, Paris, London and Santa Fe. (Not gonna happen.)
Aging has instilled a harsh dose of reality into my dreams these days:
  • Someday I hope to retire with a roof over my head and not have to eat cat food.
  • Someday I would like to be known as a good person who did her best.
  • Someday I'll decide whether to be buried or cremated (but not yet).
  • Someday I'll decide what I want to be when I grow up.
And there are still a few old dreams that I cling to:
  • Someday I'll finally understand the General Theory of Relativity.
  • Someday the Secret of the Universe will be revealed to me.
  • Someday my son will respect me as an intelligent human being.
  • Someday I will have all the time to do all the things I want to do.
In the meantime, I'll keep fine-tuning my dreams, and reminding myself: "A goal without a plan is just a dream."

On the other hand, dreams are nice just for their own sake.  The world needs more dreamers and dreams. 

May we always remember that dreams, well-formed, and well executed, can make the world a better place.  And may we have the courage and conviction to know when to abandon our old dreams that have outlived their purpose.

Here is one of my favorite images: 

Texas Highway 21:
Abandoned Dreams


This is for all of you out there: may you never forget that dreams can come true - if you allow them to.

-bjd



No comments:

Post a Comment