Tuesday, May 18, 2010

FACEBOOK AND THE DALAI LAMA


I have become a great fan of Facebook lately, and especially The Dalai Lama's page.  I never thought of The Dalai Lama as one who would use Facebook, but he and his organization are taking advantage of all that social media have to offer.  He usually posts some kind of sage advice that is totally in character, but the surprising part is his Picture of the Day.

Once he apologetically said that he had to rush over to Kolkata (Calcutta) to give the Mother Teresa Memorial Lecture and had to come back to Dharamsala the same day.  The picture showed him behind the wheel of his car (with entourage as passengers), pulling out of his compound.  I couldn't tell what kind of car it was from the side, but it looked more like a Toyota than a Mercedes.

I never thought of The Dalai Lama as a mere mortal who would drive his own car, but there he was.  And the most surprising thing?  He had a big grin on his face, as if he were relishing the experience.

Just the other day he posted a photo of his current visit to Madison, Wisconsin.  In this picture he was on a prosthenium (raised) stage with a man playing what seemed to be exquisite music on a cello.  Again The Dalai Lama was smiling.  But the thing that caught my eye, because of the unusual angle of the photo, was that The Dalai Lama was wearing Rockports and brown socks.  Somehow I expected him to wear sandals:

His Holiness in Rockports

I love it how he manages to be both human and divine, just like the rest of us.

Here is another image from "The Appearance of Reality" series, in his honor.  This image was worked up from the refraction pattern of the sconce in my entrance hall, viewed from my favorite spot in the living room:


The Appearance of Reality:
Enlightenment

I think it looks kind of Tibetan, don't you?  Here's to you, His Holiness The Dalai Lama, for showing all the rest of us how to live.

-bjd


No comments:

Post a Comment