Sunday, January 3, 2010

REVERSE CULTURE SHOCK

Still January 1:

I had decided to spend the first night in El Valle de Anton to avoid driving at night, and had a reservation at the Anton Valley Hotel in the middle of town.  This hotel would probably be considered a boutique hotel in Panama.  It is owned by Americans who were very friendly and helpful.

The drive to El Valle was spectacular.  Here are two examples:






Once settled in my room,too tired to eat dinner, I just crashed.  It had been a 14-hour day punctuated by an airline flight and an auto accident.  This lovely hotel was the good kind of crashing though.

If you want to see what the hotel looks like, go to http://www.antonvalleyhotel.com/ .

The next morning I left early for the drive to Boquete, with only a cup of delicious Panamanian coffee under my belt.   But I took the time to drive around El Valle.  Here is a typical scene of the inner city.  Note the pedestrian in the middle of the street.




Driving to and from El Valle, I was overcome with what would best be called "Reverse Culture Shock".  Somehow this seemed like home, and my home in the U.S. seemed like the foreign place.  I could most certainly live here.

-bjd

No comments:

Post a Comment